Summer is in full swing, which means it’s time to fire up the grill and get your taco game on point. Forget the hotdogs and hamburgers – this BBQ season, we’re serving up a showstopper that’s guaranteed to steal the spotlight: grilled pollo asado tacos. With their smoky, marinated chicken, zesty toppings, and a squeeze of fresh lime, these tacos are a fiesta in every bite. So, dust off that grill, gather your amigos, and let’s get ready to taco ’bout the ultimate BBQ recipe.
The Star of the Show: Grilled Pollo Asado Tacos
For the Pollo Asado Marinade:
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced.
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
For the Tacos:
- 12 small corn tortillas
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced.
- Lime wedges, for serving.
- Your choice of salsa or hot sauce
- The Marination Sensation: Begin by whisking together the orange, lime, and lemon juices, olive oil, minced garlic, white vinegar, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken thighs, ensuring they’re well-coated in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight, for maximum flavor infusion.
- The Grilling Chronicles: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade, shaking off any excess liquid, and grill for 6-8 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. For those perfect grill marks, resist the urge to flip the chicken too early – patience is key, my friends.
- The Slicing Spectacle: Once the chicken is cooked through and beautifully charred, remove it from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute, ensuring succulent, tender pollo asado. Slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces and try not to sneak too many samples before assembly – we know, it’s tempting.
- The Tortilla Tango: No taco is complete without a warm, pliable tortilla. Lightly char the corn tortillas on the grill for about 30 seconds per side, until they’re slightly puffed and have those envy-inducing grill marks. Keep them warm by wrapping them in a clean kitchen towel or aluminum foil.
- The Assembly Line Extravaganza: Now, it’s time to bring it all together. Top each tortilla with a generous helping of pollo asado, followed by a sprinkling of diced red onion and chopped cilantro. Add a few slices of avocado for a touch of creamy goodness, and finish with a squeeze of fresh lime and a drizzle of your favorite salsa or hot sauce.
The grilled pollo asado taco is more than just a dish; it’s the life of the BBQ party. With its smoky, citrus-infused chicken, vibrant toppings, and undeniable wow factor, this taco is destined to become the star of your summer gatherings. As you dine al fresco, surrounded by the laughter of friends and the sizzle of the grill, you’ll realize that these tacos are more than just a meal; they’re a memory in the making.