You don’t have to be a vegetarian to enjoy these rolled tacos. They are always a hit! Perfect to prepare the night before for any Taco Tuesday or party. These rolled potato tacos are even more delicious with guacamole.
- Rolled Tacos
- 3 large yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- salt and pepper
- corn tortillas
- canola oil, for frying
- Place the chopped potatoes in a slightly salted pot of water and boil until very tender.
- Drain and wipe out the pot.
- Heat the oil in the pan, add the onion and cook until softened. Add potatoes back to the pan and add ancho chile powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the mix and cool until the potatoes are like mashed potato texture.
- Transfer filling to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Place 5 or 6 tortillas on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel to moisten tortillas, then microwave for 30 – 45 seconds. This makes the tortillas flexible and easy to roll.
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of potato filling and place on one side of the tortilla. Tightly roll the tortilla up and place on a baking sheet seam side down. Repeat until the filling is gone. Freeze until firm, you can make the night before and freeze overnight.
- When ready to eat:
- Heat 1 1/2 inches of canola oil in a pot. Gently lower 3-4 frozen rolled tacos into the oil and fry for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown and crunch. Transfer to a wire rack and drain any excess oil. Repeat until all the tacos are fried.
You can double or triple this recipe as needed