- 4 boneless-skinless chicken breasts
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- one 15 oz. can Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
- one 3.5 oz. can diced green chiles plus juice
Tacos and Slaw Ingredients
- 8 Medium flour tortillas
- ½ large fresh Poblano chiles, finely chopped
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbsp mayo
- 2 Tbsp fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 ½ tsp. green Hot Sauce
- Salt to taste
- Put the green chile enchilada sauce into a small non-stick saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until enough liquid has evaporated that the sauce has reduced to ¾ cup. This will take about 45 minutes, or less if you’re watching it carefully and use higher heat.
- While the sauce is reducing, trim chicken breasts and cut each breast lengthwise into 2 or 3 long strips. (Cut larger breasts into 3 strips and smaller ones into 2.)
- Spray the inside of slow cooker with olive oil or non-stick spray and put the chicken strips in the bottom. When the sauce has reduced to ¾ cup, spread sauce over the chicken pieces and add the small can of diced green chiles if you want a bit more heat.
- Cook on high for about 2 ½ hours, or until the chicken shreds apart easily with a fork.
- When the chicken is done, use a slotted spoon to remove chicken pieces to a cutting board, leaving the sauce in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Use 2 forks to shred the chicken apart into bite-sized pieces and put shredded chicken back in the slow cooker, stirring to coat the chicken with sauce. Turn slow cooker to low to keep the chicken warm while you prepare the rest of the tacos.
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400F.
- Remove plastic packaging from the low-carb tortilla shells, wrap in foil, and heat the tortillas in the toaster oven while you make the slaw.
- Whisk together the mayo, lime juice, and Green Tabasco sauce to make the dressing.
- Cut the Poblano chile in half, remove seeds, and finely chop half the chile (reserving the other half for another use.)
- Thinly slice green onions, green cabbage, red cabbage, and chop cilantro (if using.)
- Put the slaw ingredients in a bowl and toss with the dressing.
- To serve, fill a heated tortilla with 1/8 of the chicken mixture and top with a generous scoop of slaw.