Cathy Roma @ Whatshouldimakefordinner.com
Carne Asada Tacos
- 3 lbs. marinated flank steak (2 - 1 1/2 lb. steaks) (recipe follows)
- 12 soft corn (or flour) tortillas (7 inch)
- 1 ½ cups Cotija cheese, crumbled (crumbled feta or ricotta salata could be substituted)
- charred onion relish (recipe follows)
- Lime wedges and chopped cilantro for serving.
Marinade for Carne Asada
- 5 cloves garlic, minced.
- ½ cup cilantro, stems and leaves, chopped.
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, chopped.
- ½ cup onion, chopped.
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup Mexican beer
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper.
- Additional salt and pepper for seasoning steak before grilling
Charred Onion Relish
- 2 large onions (I like Spanish onions), peeled and sliced into thick rounds.
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided.
- 1 cup cilantro, stems and leaves, coarsely chopped.
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Zest of one lime
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine all ingredients for marinade in a bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Place flank steak in a large Ziploc bag and pour marinade over steak. Seal bag and turn several times until steak is well coated.
- Refrigerate steak a minimum of three hours or overnight.
- Remove steak from marinade and season liberally on both sides with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat for about 5 minutes per side.
- Rest the steak, covered with foil, for at least five minutes to allow the juices to redistribute before slicing.
Charred Onion Relish
- While you're grilling the steak, brush the onion slices with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill about 3-5 minutes per side or until slightly charred, being careful as you flip them, so they don't fall through the grates. Remove to a plate.
- Combine charred onions, remaining olive oil, and the rest of the relish ingredients in a food processor and pulse until all ingredients are blended. I like mine with a good bit of texture like pickle relish, not very saucy or smooth.
Assemble the Tacos
- Slice the rested steak thinly, against the grain, to serve.
- Reduce the heat on the grill to medium and grill the tortillas until warmed through and charred slightly (to your liking).
- To serve: top each tortilla with a couple slices of steak, a sprinkling of cheese, chopped cilantro, onion relish, and a squirt of lime juice. Serve with lime wedges if desired.