These Vegan Tacos Are More Than a Trend
It’s Friday night on a busy street corner in Los Angeles’s Koreatown, and Denise Vallejo showers a handful of cilantro over a flour tortilla piled high with grilled seitan and her signature melty cassava-flour-and-cashew cheese. Her “Chicali” taco, a vegan version of the carne asada tacos sold across Mexicali, a city in northern Mexico where Vallejo’s family is from, costs $7, on the higher side for the neighborhood.
Read Full Article Here>>
Jicama Tacos with Jackfruit: Grain Free & Vegan
By Holistic Foodie
Jackfruit is a species of tree native to Southwest India. As such it’s commonly used in South and Southeast Asian cuisines, both the ripe and unripe fruit is used as are the seeds. For this recipe, we are using unripe jackfruit as this is the one that would typically be used in a meat type dish.
For the Jackfruit
- 2 cans Jackfruit
- 1 Avocado Oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 tbsp Tamari
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
For the Tacos
- 1 Jicama sliced thin
- 1 Avocado sliced or cubed
- 1 Radish watermelon, or use regular radish
- 1/4 cup Cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- Drain both cans of jackfruit. Cut the firm pointy ends off each triangular piece. Shred with your hands the pieces of jackfruit, you can shred them more with a fork once you start cooking as well.
- Heat avocado or coconut oil on a pan, add the onion and cook over medium, until softened. Add the garlic in the last 20 seconds or so, stir together and add all the spices (paprika, cumin, cinnamon).
- Now add in the jackfruit and stir, add in the tamari, and BBQ sauce. Mix everything well and just squash the pieces of jackfruit and use two forks to pull apart the pieces. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While this is simmering, slice your jicama as thinly as possible using a sharp knife or mandolin. Serve the jicama with jackfruit on top, avocado, radish, cilantro, and lime juice.
See the full recipe here>>